Copyright 1999 Dr. Brian K. Bailey, author of Secrets to Happiness, Inner Peace and Health.
Here are the instructions I have gathered over the years. Please e-mail yours so that I can add them to the list if appropriate.
1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully, under promise and over produce.
2. Work at something you enjoy and that's worthy of your time and talent.
3. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
4. Be forgiving of yourself and others.
5. Memorize your favorite poems and songs and recite and sing them often.
6. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.
7. Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
8. Marry a person you love to talk to. As you get older, conversational skills will be as important as any other.
9. As a Boy Scout I learned to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, reverent and clean.
10. In scouts, I also learned to always be prepared.
There are four steps to accomplishment:
1. Plan Purposefully.
2. Prepare Prayerfully.
3. Proceed Positively.
4. Pursue Persistently.
5. Persistence, persistence, persistence.
6. Commit yourself to constant improvement.
7. Be honest.
8. Be a self-starter.
9. Be decisive even if it means you'll sometimes be wrong.
10. Be generous.
11. Have a grateful heart.
12. Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
13. Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
14. Commit yourself to quality.
15. Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
16. Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
17. Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
18. Take good care of those you love.
19. Don't do anything that wouldn't make your mom proud.
20. When you say, "I love you," mean it and let your actions show it.
21. When you say, "I am sorry," look the person in the eye admit your mistake and make amends.
22. Believe in love at first sight, listen and "feel" enough to know it is right.
23. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. If you have none, find some. Dreams can give you purpose and drive in your life.
24. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
25. In disagreements fight fairly. Don't dig up the past (save that for archeologists). Don't predict the future (save that for fortune tellers). No name calling.
26. Don't judge people by their relatives, race, ethnicity, religion or any other foolish categories. If you must judge, do it by their heart and their actions and walk at least one mile in their shoes. Remember you haven't been and aren't perfect yourself.
27. Remember there have been more atrocities commited in the name of God than politics.
28. Talk slowly but think quickly.
29. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
30. Say "bless you," when you hear someone sneeze.
31. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
32. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
33. Don't let a little dispute injure a friendship.
34. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
35. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
36. Spend some time alone.
37. Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values. The only real constant in life is change.
38. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
39. Read more books and watch less TV.
40. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time.
41. Trust in God but lock your car.
42. A loving atmosphere in your home is so important. Do all you can to create a tranquil harmonious home.
43. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation. Don't bring up the past or predict the future.
44. Read between the lines, but don't expect your mate to read your mind..
45. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
46. Be gentle with the earth.
47. Pray. There's immeasurable power in it.
48. Sit quietly and listen&emdash;meditate for your answers.
49. Mind your own business.
50. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
51. If you make a lot of money, put it to use helping others while you are living. That is wealth's greatest satisfaction.
52. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a blessing. Everything happens for a reason to teach you something that will make you a better person.
53. Learn the rules, then break some.
54. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
55. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
56. Remember that your actions determine your character and your character is your is your destiny.
57. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon, there are no perfect recipes.
1. I AM MOTIVATED & ENTHUSIASTIC:
I AM Making goals with plans to fulfill them and review them daily.
2. I AM PROSPEROUS & GIVING:
I AM Expecting the best and give without expectation of getting.
3. I AM COURAGEOUS:
I AM Taking risks so that I will grow spiritually.
4. I AM RESPONSIBLE:
I AM Responsible for all I have created in my life, I am not a victim.
5. I AM HEALTHY:
I AM Eating a plant based diet and exercise regularly.
6. I AM GRATEFUL:
I AM grateful for all the blessings in my life and thank God daily for them.
7. I AM FORGIVING:
I AM Seeing all people as innocent children of God in search of love and acceptance.
8. I AM TRUSTING AND TRUSTWORTHY:
I AM Understanding that everything that happens in my life is for my best good.
9. I AM KIND:
I AM Serving.
10. I AM LOVING & LOVABLE:
I AM Accepting and empathetic to everyone my life touches.
11. I AM JOYFUL:
I AM Following my inner guidance to fulfill my purpose.
12. I AM PEACEFUL OF MIND & INTUITIVE:
I AM Praying and meditating every day.
This or something greater for my highest good, and the highest good of all concerned.
His latest book is the SECRETS TO HAPPINESS, INNER PEACE AND HEALTH: COMPLETE GUIDE TO OPTIMAL WELLNESS OF BODY, MIND AND SPIRIT); his 2006 corporate lecture series is TWELVE ESSENTIAL KEYS TO SUCCESS.
Dr. Bailey also does consultation worldwide over the phone, mail or by e-mail.
For more information on losing fat see Dr. Baileys latest book.
Topics of the Week